Friday, June 30, 2017

Encounter With the Ark

For the past few years, my wife and I have wanted to visit the Creation Museum. With the opening of the Ark Encounter about a year ago, this desire only grew. So, as part of our vacation this past month, we finally decided to make the trip.

Both the museum and the Ark were enjoyable and informative. Having studied the work of creationists for years, most of the presentation was not new to me. However, I still enjoyed the layout and the opportunity to review it. It was especially good for our older kids who have not had the same level of exposure, and provided ample opportunity for my wife and I to discuss God’s Word and work with all of our children.

The Ark was enjoyable primarily because it helped me to better envision the size of the original, described for us in the Bible. I'm not able to envision something like this based on dimensions. It also doesn't help me to do so when materials from Answers in Genesis describe it by volume (it can hold a certain number of train cars or semi trailers). But walking into it, and back and forth across each floor, helped me to grasp its immensity in a very real way.

The thing that impressed me the most was the stated purpose of these facilities. Even though it may seem that the sole focus is on creation, Noah, and the flood, this is far from the case. The focus is the gospel. Answers in Genesis wants people to understand these truths that we might be directed to Jesus and his saving work on the cross.

If you are able to visit these sites, I would encourage you to do so. It is well worth the time and money (the cost, by the way, is pretty reasonable). If you have yet to look into the work of Christian scientists, you will learn a great deal and come away better informed about how science supports Scripture. You will also be able to better envision this boat on which God saved Noah, his family, and the animals. And all of this will serve to both strengthen and encourage your faith.

No comments: