Monday, January 20, 2020

Running in Vain?


“Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. I went up because of a revelation and set before them (though privately before those who seemed influential) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure I was not running or had not run in vain.”

Galatians 2:1-2 ESV



I’m blessed to have the support of my local congregation. I’m blessed to have the support of our church leadership. And, more than that, I’m blessed to have the support of our national body, the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations.



I’m blessed also to have many resources available to me. I’m blessed to have many different translations of the Bible. I’m blessed to have a selection of commentaries. I’m blessed to have books containing the history of the church. I’m blessed to have resources in the Biblical languages, Hebrew and Greek. I’m blessed to have a computer program that helps me with these languages. And I’m blessed to have internet access for further study.



We often think, as believers, that all we need is Jesus and me. And we tend to think the same way when it comes to ministry. We believe that, with the Lord and his help, we have all we need.



However, we fail to recognize that the Lord works through his people. We fail to recognize that we also need the support and encouragement of other believers. We fail to recognize that we need the teaching and instruction of other believers. And we fail to recognize that we need the correction of other believers.



We see in the above passage that, although Paul had received the gospel directly from the Lord, and although he didn’t initially seek the approval of the other apostles when it came to his ministry, he now sought them out. He did so because of a revelation. And he did so to ensure that he was not running his race in vain.



He was being challenged by others, as he carried out his ministry, regarding Jewish ceremonial practice. He’d been teaching that the grace of God was sufficient for salvation. And he’d been teaching that faith alone enables us to receive this grace. But others insisted on circumcision and the practice of Jewish Law for believers in Jesus.



As he appeared before the church leadership, he presented to them the gospel that he proclaimed among the Gentiles. He did so that they might have opportunity to correct him if necessary. And he did so that they might affirm this message.



This is the blessing I have as I enjoy the fellowship of my congregation and church leadership. This is the blessing I enjoy as I maintain a relationship with other pastors and ministries of the AFLC. And this is the blessing that I enjoy as I make use of my books and resources.



In this way, I’m able to have the message that I proclaim validated. I’m able to receive correction or additional teaching. And I’m able to ensure that I’m not running my race in vain.



I’m able to go to them to make sure that my understanding of Scripture is correct. I’m able to go to them to make sure that my presentation of Scripture is correct. And I’m able to go to them to grow in my understanding of Scripture, and in my presentation of the Word of God.



My race would be in vain if the message I proclaimed was wrong or unscriptural in some way. In that case, it would be empty and devoid of power. It wouldn’t have the impact that the Lord, or I myself, desire for it. In fact, it could even have the opposite effect.



This is why Paul sought the affirmation of the church in Jerusalem. And this is why I cherish my brothers and sisters in Christ, those of the present and of the past. Knowing that I’m sinful, knowing that I’m imperfect, I need them to speak into my life.





No comments: