Monday, February 10, 2020

The Pursuit of Greatness


There are many great people in the world. There are many who fill positions of power and authority. Due to their office, they have influence over peoples and nations. They are able to turn the tide of world events by the power afforded them.



We know of these people. It’s impossible for them to escape our notice. Their decisions, actions, and statements constantly come before us. They are seen on TV. They are heard on the radio. We receive notifications of their activities on our phones. Yet, as powerful and influential as they may be, I do not consider them among those who have most impacted my life.



As I consider those who have most influenced me, I think of people like my parents. I think of the pastor under whom I grew up. I think of Sunday School teachers, youth leaders, and others who have discipled me, or mentored me in the faith.  I think of teachers at school and others who have taught to me useful life skills or given to me godly advice.



In short, those who have most influenced my life are those who’ve served me in some way. They have ministered to me in some capacity. Even though they may not be great in the eyes of the world, they are great in mine.



This fits the definition of greatness given by Jesus in Mark 10. As two of his disciples requested the positions of greatest honor in his kingdom, Jesus told his disciples what it means to be truly great. And we find that greatness in the eyes of God is a stark contrast to that of the world.



Even though the rulers of the Gentiles lord their position over their subjects and exercise authority over them, this isn’t how it’s to be among the people of God.  Jesus says that anyone who wants to be great among us must be our servant, and whoever would be great among us must be the slave of all.



He then points to himself as the ultimate example of this truth. In verse 45, he says: “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Jesus came into this world not to be served by his people, but to serve them. And he came to serve them by giving his life on their behalf.



If anyone deserves to be served, it’s Jesus. He is, after all, the King of kings and the Lord of lords. He’s the eternal, almighty, and omniscient God. He’s the creator and sustainer of all that exists. He’s the giver of life, both in this world and in eternity.



However, even though this is true of him, he didn’t use his position to demand service. He, instead, used his position to serve. He went to the extent of giving his life upon the cross to accomplish our redemption.



Even knowing this, we continue to seek greatness in the worldly sense. We continue to seek power and influence. We continue to seek fame and fortune.



We do so without realizing that the greatest influence is attained when we emulate Jesus. The greatest influence is attained when we serve those that God has placed around us and under our care. We attain the greatest influence as we love and care for our children. We attain it as we teach Sunday School or work with the youth. We attain it as we use the gifts God has given us to serve him and the body of Christ.

No comments: