Monday, March 16, 2020

The Prescription for Sin


“But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.”

(Galatians 2:17-21 ESV)



As we faithfully proclaim the truth that we are justified by faith, as we faithfully proclaim the truth that our works play no role in our salvation, a common reaction is seen. It is then suggested that this leads to antinomianism. What this means is that people are free to live however they please and remain in the grace of God.



In Paul’s case, as we see above, he asks if this makes Christ a servant of sin. If we’re found to be sinners, while we seek the justification that’s provided through faith in Christ, does this make Jesus a servant of sin?  Does it mean that Jesus promotes or allows sin in any way? And Paul’s answer to this question is “Certainly not!”



If he were to return to the law, if he were to once again follow all of the rules and regulations prescribed by the ceremonial law, it would not free him from sin. In fact, it would prove only one thing. It would prove only that he is a sinner. It would do so because the law reveals to us our sin and our need of a Savior.



You see, the prescription for sin is not the law. The law can do nothing to remove our sin. It can do nothing to minimize our sin. And it can do nothing to make our lives more godly.



The prescription for sin is the cross of Christ. Paul says that, through the law, he died to the law, that he might live for God. He says that he’s been crucified with Christ. And he says that it’s no longer he who lives, but Christ in him.



In the same way, we have been crucified with Christ. Our old life, our life of sin and rebellion, is a thing of the past. We’ve been given a new life. Christ now lives in us. And this is what brings about a life of obedience.



I’m not suggesting that, once we come to faith in Christ, sin is a non-issue. We will continue to sin as long as we live in this world. However, no longer do we pursue the desires of the flesh. We, instead, desire Christ and the things of Christ. We long to live for him and to glorify him.



Paul then reminds us that if righteousness were through the law, if we were made righteous by our obedience to the law, then Christ died for nothing. If we believe that we can earn our salvation, we have rendered his sacrifice meaningless. And if we believe that we can become righteous by our own efforts, then we have rendered his sacrifice meaningless.

No comments: