Monday, June 22, 2020

In the Face of Weariness

“And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.”

‭‭Galatians‬ ‭6:9-10‬ ‭ESV‬‬


There are times when I want to give up. There are times when I want to stop trying. I’m tired. I’m burnt out. And I simply don’t want to do it anymore.


The reasons for this are many. I might feel, for example, that my efforts are not appreciated. Although I am doing my best to love and to serve them, others don’t even seem to notice. Worse yet, they seem to take these efforts for granted.


I might feel that my efforts are not being reciprocated. As much as I try to love and serve others, they are not behaving in the same way toward me. It feels completely one sided. 


And I might feel like, as I seek to love and serve others, nothing is being accomplished. I don’t see any fruit from my labor. It seems, in the moment, that my efforts have been wasted.


Whatever the case may be, we’ve all felt this from time to time. And, in these moments, we do sometimes quit. We stop trying and throw in the towel.


In the midst of these feelings, Paul gives to us the encouragement seen above. He tells us that we are not to grow weary of doing good. And he assures us that we will reap a harvest in due season.


Even if it seems slow in coming, we will reap a harvest. Even if it seems that nothing is being accomplished, we will reap a harvest. No matter how it may seem, our labor will not be in vain.


In other words, God is working through us. He is blessing our efforts. He is doing a work that will endure, even if it’s unseen in the present.


For this reason, he tells us that we’re to do good to everyone. And this is especially true of our fellow believers. We are to continue doing all that we can to love and bless others.


No comments: