Thursday, July 16, 2020

A Faith that is Evident

“From now on let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers. Amen.”

(Galatians 6:17-18 ESV)

 

People often question us concerning our faith. They sometimes question our faith itself, or they question the correctness of that faith. They question our actions, as we live in this faith. And they question our service of God.

 

This isn’t unique to us, nor is it unique to this point in history. Paul had been greatly troubled by the Judaizers, by Jewish believers who were promoting circumcision. And this wasn’t the full extent of his troubles. As we read through the book of Acts, we see the severity of the suffering he faced as he engaged in ministry.

 

I think of Paul’s statement in 2 Corinthians 11. Starting in verse 24, he says: Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.”

 

It seems clear that these are the marks of Jesus he refers to in the above passage. He literally bore scars that resulted from his faith and his service of Christ. And these marks were evidence of that faith and service.

 

They certified that no one could question his faith or his dedication to the Lord and the Church. This is why he pleaded that no one would cause him further trouble. It was his hope that his faith and ministry would be received by the people.

 

It’s safe to say that none of us, in the American Church, have suffered in this way. We have not suffered physically for our faith. We do not bear the scars of our faith and service on our flesh.

 

However, as people listen to us, and as they see us, do they see the evidence of our faith? Do they see the evidence of our service? Do they see in us clear indicators that would forbid them from questioning our sincerity?

 

I don’t know that we can ever stop the questions. And I don’t know that we will ever silence our critics. However, my prayer is that my faith and service will be clearly evident. My prayer is that, if my faith and service are challenged, none of the accusations will stick. I pray they will not stick because they will be clearly seen as baseless.

 

I pray the same for each of you, as well. I pray this for the members of Prince of Peace. I pray this for the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations. And I pray this for the American Church as a whole.


No comments: