Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Encouraging News


“Tychicus will tell you all about my activities. He is a beloved brother and faithful minister and fellow servant in the Lord. I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are and that he may encourage your hearts, and with him Onesimus, our faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They will tell you of everything that has taken place here.”

Colossians 4:7-9

 

Encouragement comes in many forms. And this is true not only when it comes to our personal life. It’s true not only when it comes to our emotional well-being. This is true also when it comes to our faith.

 

Speaking for myself, I’m often encouraged in my faith as I read Scripture. I’m encouraged as I take part in a Bible study. I’m encouraged as I read devotionals written by others, or as I listen to someone preaching or teaching the Word of God.  And I’m encouraged through fellowship with other believers.

 

However, I’m also encouraged in my faith as I hear how the Lord is working in other congregations. I love reading up on the new church plants in our Association, and hearing about new ministries that are being undertaken by congregations. I also love receiving updates from the mission field. I love hearing about people being brought to faith in Christ, baptisms that have taken place, and new congregations that have been established in the remotest of locations.  And I love hearing about the work of God in the life of another believer. I love to hear the ways in which the Word of God is impacting them, and seeing the ways in which God is using them.

 

This is why I love hosting missionaries when they’re in the area. This is why I subscribe to various prayer lists in our body of churches as well as in our community. This is why I love gathering to pray with other pastors in our community each week. And this is why I love reading the Ambassador, the monthly magazine of the AFLC.

 

It was for this reason that Paul had sent Tychicus and Onesimus to the church at Colossae. He wanted them to be updated regarding his well-being. And he wanted them to be encouraged as they heard about the work God was doing through the ministry entrusted to him.

 

As I consider this, it seems like a great deal of effort was taken to merely encourage another congregation. It seems that a great deal of effort was taken to inform another congregation. And this gives us some insight as to how important this is.

 

For this reason, I encourage everyone to keep from ignoring this information as it’s released. Follow our missionaries on Facebook. Sign up for prayer updates. Attend mission presentations. Subscribe to the Ambassador. And do so with the knowledge that, as you learn of the Lord’s work, you will be encouraged in your faith and in the ministry God has entrusted to you.


And, in the same way, don't hesitate to share with others what God is doing in your life and in that of your congregation. It may be exactly what they need to hear. It may encourage them in their life of faith as well as in their ministry.

 

 

No comments: