Tuesday, September 28, 2021

The Need to Be Served

 “The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.””

1 Corinthians 12:21 ESV


We hear often about the gifts that God entrusts to the Church. And, most often, the point of these sentiments is that we’re to use our gifts in the service of God and the Church. Yet, while this is, indeed, true, there is yet another lesson for us to take from this reality.


If you’re like me (and from my experience, most of you are), we are more willing to serve others than to allow others to serve us. This flows from our independent nature. It flows from our desire to take care of ourselves. And, for this reason, we’re not often willing to ask for help.


Yet, as we see in the verse above, we need every part of the body. It’s not only about giving help to others. Nor is it exclusively about serving others. It’s also about receiving the help and service of our brothers and sisters in Christ.


This is something of which I’ve been reminded during my recent surgery. There’s a humiliation involved, being completely helpless and at the whim of others. There’s a humiliation in being exposed before others. There’s a humiliation in being unable to even go to the bathroom on your own. There’s a humiliation in needing others to brush your teeth and to even help you roll over in bed. But, at the same time, it’s a blessing to have those who put all of their time and energy into your welfare.


This is what I’ve experienced recently. My surgeon was fantastic. His team was phenomenal. Each nurse who cared for me was caring and compassionate.


The same is true of all of you, as well. Your care for me has been amazing. Even though I’m not quick to ask for help, you have stepped up to the plate. The prayers lifted up on my behalf are greatly appreciated. The meals delivered to my home have been both delicious and a great blessing. The expressions of concern and offers of help have clearly demonstrated the love you have for me.


We can go to extremes on either side of this equation. We can become overly dependent upon others. We can become lazy and unwilling to do for ourselves. Or, of course, we can become hyper-independent, refusing the help of others. And we must take care to do neither.


But, the simple fact of the matter is that I need all of you. As much as it’s my call to serve you, I also need to be served by you. And it’s a great blessing to receive this service.


The ministry of the Church is not dependent on one person. It’s dependent on all of us. And my hope and prayer is that each of us will not only serve one another, gladly and willingly. My hope and prayer is that we’ll also receive the blessings offered to us by the body of Christ.

No comments: