Monday, August 29, 2022

Keep On Keeping On

 

“Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.”

(1 Corinthians 15:58 ESV)

 

This was the confirmation verse assigned to me by my pastor on the day when I publicly confessed my faith before the congregation. And I believe that he assigned it to me knowing my calling. He assigned it to me knowing that I was being led by the Lord into the pastoral ministry.

 

This verse certainly does speak to me, it certainly does minister to me, as I carry out this calling. It’s been a good reminder to me throughout the years. However, it’s a verse that speaks to all of us.

 

It speaks to all of us because, as we serve the Lord, we often become tired. As we seek to serve the church, we often become worn down. And as we deal with not only the people of our society who surround us from day to day, but also the children of God, we often become frustrated.

 

We are often left feeling unsatisfied. We are often left feeling unfulfilled. And we are often left feeling like our efforts are accomplishing nothing.

 

For this reason, we wonder if it’s worth it. We feel like throwing in the towel. In fact, we feel like giving up altogether.

 

And many times, we do just that. In our fatigue, we pull back. In our frustration, we give up. In our exasperation, we resign from the role we’ve been filling.

 

This can happen whether it’s a role we’re filling at church, at home, on the job, or in the community. We simply cease doing the things we’ve always done. And we no longer try to fill the needs that we once satisfied.

 

It’s in these circumstances that the words of the apostle Paul, in the passage above, speak to us. He encourages us to be steadfast, to be firmly based. He encourages us to be unmovable. He encourages us to be always abounding, always over and above, when it comes to the work of the Lord. And we’re to do so knowing that, in the Lord, our labor is never in vain.

 

No matter how things may seem, our labor is never meaningless. No matter how it may feel, our labor is never empty. No matter the apparent results, or lack of them, we can be assured that our labor in the Lord is always accomplishing something, even if we cannot see it.

No comments: