Thursday, November 17, 2022

A Heart for the Lost?

 “I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit— that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh. They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises. To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen.”

(Romans 9:1-5 ESV) 


Scripture is clear about God’s heart for the lost. It’s clear about his desire for the lost. It tells us that he has no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that he should turn from his way and live (Ezekiel 18:23). And it tells us that he desires that all should be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:4).


We’re thankful for this, as it’s for this reason that he’s provided for our salvation. It’s for this reason that he sent his only Son into the world. And it’s for this reason that Jesus suffered and died. 


As his people, then, we know that we’re to share his heart. And it’s for this reason that he’s called us to proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. It’s for this reason that he’s called us to make disciples of all nations.


We see that Paul shared God’s heart, we see that he shared God’s desire for the lost, in the above passage. We see his strong desire for the salvation of his own people. He desired their salvation so much, in fact, that he expressed a willingness to be accursed for their sake.


In this way, he models for us the mind of Christ. He models for us the attitude of Christ. He models for us the mind and the attitude of Christ who was, quite literally, accursed for our sake.


While this is something that I admire, it’s something that I also find very convicting. I ask myself if I would be willing to do the same. And, as I do so, I face a troubling reality.


I do believe that I would be willing to suffer for the sake of others. I believe that I would be willing to endure hardship for the sake of others. I would do so that they might receive the salvation of God.


But would I be willing to die for the lost? This is a harder question to answer. And although I can’t say it with certainty, I may be willing to die for some. I may be willing to die for them knowing the life and salvation that God has in store for me.


I may be willing to die for those who are the closest to me. I may be willing to die for those who are dearest to me. But, for others, I’m far less certain.


However, if it were possible for me to be accursed for their sake, I don’t believe that I would be willing to do so. After all, giving up my life is one thing. But to give up my salvation is another.


This, of course, is not possible. I cannot bear the sins of another. Nor can I take their curse upon myself. The only one who can do so is Christ.


But that being said, this reveals to me my own sin. It reveals to me my own selfishness. It makes plain, again, my need for the grace and mercy of Jesus.


No comments: